
So we've come around to the next Thankful Thursday. And I've fiddled around with a few things I might be thankful for and came to a certain thought. I absolutely LOVE music. From the time I was a little kid, I could remember belting out the songs of legends: Whitney, Natalie Cole, Aretha, Roberta, Gladys, Carpenters... Alot of oldies, and also the hip songs of the 80's and 90's. Great memories!!!
But, it wasn't until our family was asked to present a musical number in Sacrament Meeting that I realized what one of my talents might be. We sang "A Child's Prayer" (before it was printed in the CS book) and during practice the pianist (sweet Grandma Kit Meyers) stopped playing, looked at me and said, "Young lady. You have a beautiful voice!". Up until that time, all I'd ever heard was "STOP singing!" or "You're off key!" or "AGHHHHH... I'm gonna tell mom if you don't quit!". I quietly blushed as she complimented me, then felt a little relieved that all my practice wasn't going to waste. lol. Now as an adult I accept compliments quite the same way I did back then. Why? Because I know, I am an average gal. My musical abilities are not extraordinary. Amidst the dream of becoming an accomplished pianist, songstress, song writer, I've become acutely aware of my current position on the 'musically talented' spectrum. I also know with music, it takes fine tuning, and patience and LOVE. Love for the music, to get things just right. Oh! and practice, practice, practice. That of which, I have had NO time for. It saddens me, because in my dreams I only imagine myself walking off the stage at Carnegie Hall after completing amazing classical pieces of Mozart, Bach, Satie, Mendelssohn... and receiving a standing ovation. Yeah right!... beautiful thought but really not my dream. Maybe the one of my cousin Kalo. Who, I'm extremely jealous, has been able to live her life on that stage. Or even the YouTube Singer/Songwriter QUEEN, Leini. Their dreams, turned reality.
My dream has always been song. Never professionally, but enough to make a positive difference in those listening. I've loved singing in choirs. I love to hear awkward notes come together to form the most angelic sounds. Hearing a choir of hundreds come together to sound as ONE heavenly voice sends me into a frenzy of goosebumps and shivers. No, really it does. That's how music effects me. I love to sing in my car. My kids are used to hearing me yell "SING!" as I belt out the latest tune on the radio. I love that they could care less that they are off tune, or I am. I don't want them to have any hang-ups about sharing their talents.
I've always wanted to be well-rounded in the music world, easily moving from one instrument to another without skipping a beat. I've purposely placed in my living room a Baldwin acrosonic spinet, two acoustic guitars, a shelf of hawaiian instruments: uli uli, puili, ipu, kala'au, ili ili, 'Opio, Keiki and a child-size Toere drum... all with the intention of keeping the music diverse and multicultural. I'd add an electric guitar and kongo drums if I had.
I just LOVE music. I am grateful for all the music I've enjoyed thus far in my life. In the next few years, as the kids get older, I'll dedicate more time to honing in on their musical talents. I am grateful so-far for my talents in music. Although I am not where I would ultimately like to be, with a LOT of practice and patience and love I'll be able to finetune my skills as a songstress, pianist, writer to finally create a 'Lullaby's/ Primary Songs' CD for my children and one day grandchildren to enjoy. That is my dream.
3 comments:
Maele ~ i love this post! I had no idea you loved music so much although I know you have a beautiful voice!
That is a great dream...I have a similiar one of just being able to play a piece of music the first time I look at it and not having to practice over and over and over again!! But really if I could pick 1 talent it would be singing......and that just didn't happen lol!!! I do love how you sing and enjoy playing for you!!
Love it when you sing!! Thanks for sharing your talents...You know the musical ones are far and few between around here...
Post a Comment