Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My baby brother, Malakai



This past weekend I attended my brother, Malakai's Mission farewell. Quite possibly the most UPLIFTING and EDIFYING farewell I have had the priviledge of attending. And it's not just because he's my brother.
To understand this you'd have to know Kai.

By the time Kai was one year old we began to wonder why he showed little interest in walking, let alone crawling. Up until that time all he'd ever do was CRY. He literally cried ALL the time. Luckily, he was the baby of the family so there were MANY willing hands to comfort and care for him.

When he turned one the crying stopped. But when he refused to walk and crawl we began to worry. My parents took him to a neurosurgeon in our ward who after observing his movements told them that Kai had a mild case of Cerebal Palsy that affected the entire right side of his body. We were all devastated. However our sadness was short lived as we accepted the diagnosis and found ways to help Kai adapt. Kai learned to crawl by scooting with his 'good' arm and dragging the rest of his body. He then walked, then ran. Limping most of the way.



As his body grew his left side was always taller, bigger and stronger than the right. He underwent several surgical procedures to correct and loosen the muscle tension. All the while he kept a positive and excited attitude on the improvements these surgeries would render. We were so excited. We LOVED and ADORED this baby brother of ours. And boy did he have the capacity to PURELY LOVE us with every bit of LOVE in him. We ALL felt it.




During his childhood we observed him. We watched him go through elementary eager to learn and excited to participate in sporting events and activities. We often would worry when he showed excitement in joining a sport. We wanted him to participate, but in our protective nature didn't want him to feel the disappointment of seldom, if at all, getting to play. Often times I would hear that he was taunted and teased for his disabilities. That was the hardest. I wanted to pull out my Jiu Jitzu skills with a quickness and lay it out on the perps. That's just the sister-UGLY in me I guess. Luckily Kai had older brothers that would do that for him. lol. (ALL the monkey's pictured on TOP + 2)



Kai grew older. He attended High School. His freshman year he joined in the Special Olympics. He loved the experience and through that we saw his confidence GROW. Soon after that experience he felt prepared to try out for the football team. We worried again but supported him in his decision. He worked HARD. He attended ALL his practices and camps and showed up at EVERY game geared and ready to go. He never missed anything. And yet at the end of every game he came home with a spotlessly clean uniform.

During his Sacrament program his Mom, Lani related a story to us:

"In his senior year Kai was put on the varsity roster. He was SO proud. He practiced and practiced. He attended football camp. He made every effort to show he was READY to play.

In the LAST quarter of the LAST game of the season Orem High was winning by a land slide. They were way ahead of the opposing team. And seeing the opportunity several people on the stand chanted:

"LET KAI PLAY! LET KAI PLAY! LET KAI PLAY!".

I wish I could say that Kai played.

He didn't.

But as the clock counted down to "zero" Kai JUMPED for JOY and RALLIED with his team on the field. Kai was SO HAPPY for their victory but we were upset. We wanted to beat up the coaches for being SO unfair.

Why couldn't they have put him in for just ONE play? Just ONE!?

We were angry.

But something changed as we watched Kai jump up and down with his team.



At that moment we realized. Kai didn't care that he wasn't able to play in the FOUR years of being on the team. He wasn't caught up with the fact that the coaches lacked courage to let him run on the field. Limping and all.

Kai knew and understood that IF he was called on the field HE WAS READY.

It didn't matter that he DIDN'T get to play. It only mattered to Kai that HE WAS READY to play."

As his mom related this story tears just rolled down my cheeks. I thought of ALL the struggles he had as a child and all the fears that I had for Kai as he declared his decision to serve our Heavenly Father on a Mission. I was honestly scared for him.

But at that moment I realized.

Kai IS ready for this calling.

HE has been PREPARING all his life for the OPPORTUNITY to serve or to "PLAY".



Thoughts began to flood my mind in that Chapel on Sunday. I began to ponder on the lessons my baby brother has taught me ALL his life. I am humbled. Somehow the Lord will provide the way for Kai. He has been called to serve in the Fort Worth, Texas mission. Not at a visitor's center, like I had quietly thought. He will be declaring the truthfullness of this Gospel and despite his physical handicap HE IS READY.

There is a purpose for this young man. I don't know what exactly the Lord has in store for him. I know the Lord will compensate for Kai's physical inadequacies. I must have FAITH in that.

And so I pray.

I pray that his companions will care for him with the compassion and love of our Savior.

I pray that his companions won't mind tying his shoes. Because he never really got that one down tight.

I pray that they'll help him straighten his tie, so he doesn't look goofy.

I pray that they will help him up if he trips while walking or falls off his bike.

I pray that investigators will look past his physical disabilities and HEAR and FEEL the testimony he has been sharing ALL his life.

Boy, will I be PRAYING for him.

Like I've NEVER prayed for a missionary in my life.

I pray for THESE things, because I KNOW that Kai DOESN'T lack in FAITH and WILL.

I was reading in Alma (26) the other night and a scripture stood out. I thought and pondered on what Ammon must have felt as he gloried in the Father. It reminded me of Kai's faith and trust and obedience.

"... Yea I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in HIS strength I can do ALL things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles..."

So I am UPLIFTED and EDIFIED. I know that God lives and He WILL provide. I know that Jesus is the Christ and that His work will move forth.

This I know.

'Ofa Lahi Atu,

~Maele

10 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful testimony and experiences. Thank you so much for sharing his story and your testimony.

Unknown said...

I loved this post! I can't believe we have been friends for almost 4 years, and there is so much i don't know about you and your family! I'm very happy for your brother and his journey.

{priscilla} said...

What a great example of love and faith you are to me Ma'ele. You have such a strong testimony and just by reading your post I felt the spirit here in my home. Thanks for sharing that.

Lavi said...

Ok seriously Ele, 1 single teardrop rolled down my cheek reading this.... I'm sad that I wasn't able to be there for Kai's farewell and everything else, but reading your blog made me feel like I was. I know Kai will mosdef be one amazing tool in Gods hands out there in Fort Worth :) he's already done plenty of g'd in our lives... Can't wait for his return to hear how he's touched others!!!

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

Well...since my earlier comment got deleted...I hope everything works out well for your brother. I love that you KNOW he is ready to serve and KNOW that he will do great and touch the lives of many people he meets. Btw, it looks like you had some fun on your trip, I'm still jealous of just you and jocey going. And when they're older it will be even better!!!

The Horvath Crew said...

Maele I just loved this story! It is so uplifting. He will be a great missionary. The Lord will always be with him and that's the faith that WE need to have. Thanks for putting all your time into this post because it really touched alot of our lives.

Pahulu Family said...

L even in the midst of all this wedding planning, your blog about Kai is absolutely inspiring. I know Kai will be just as inspired by the Lord to witness many miracles out there in Texas. Thanks for sharing, just reading this gives me more strength during this choatic time. Love you!

Pahulu Family said...

Hey L,
I wanted you to check something out and let me know what you think. So I found this woman who makes the prettiest flower cupcakes and thought I'd use it in my centerpiece designs. Tell me what you think? You can find it at cupcakesbyles@blogspot.com k, will hope to hear from you soon. love ya!

Pahulu Family said...

L,
You may want to check out flying from LA on Delta. When Vake was trying to get my buddy pass to potentially come down to pick up the flowers, he said that I was out of luck because the only flights open were delta from LA. I only have the skywest buddy pass which uses the united express. Anyways, so if you can still make it we'd love to have you guys here. K love ya!

Anonymous said...

L,

Sunday morning and what a beautiful testimony...I cried and cried as I read this. I remember so many times playing with Kai and thinking many thoughts you shared. I don't know if you know this but my nephew also has a slight case of cerebral palsy and has difficulty walking. He has had surgeries and uses braces on his legs.

He is only 5 years old and has many challenges ahead, but I am so excited to tell him about Kai and what a great example he is for serving the Lord. I will pray too!

Love to you,
Nate