
When I was a LITTLE girl I would wake up in the dead of winter to a HORRIBLE, gut-hacking, body rattling COUGH. Even the best prescribed cough syrups wouldn't cure. Often times I would just deal with it and feed myself another drop and try to go back to sleep. However on SPECIAL nights when my sweet dad was home from his frequent business trips he'd hear me COUGHING away in my room. He must've felt really bad for me because it didn't matter HOW LATE it was, I'd hear him get up and go to the kitchen. Soon after he'd come to my room and wake me with a warm cup of his homemade concoction to soothe my dry, aching throat.
Dad would sit and talk to me while I sipped this warm honey sweetened drink. We'd talk about school, my friends, my thoughts and ideas. I LOVED this time alone with him. He'd assure me that my coughing would subside and tuck me back into bed. I don't know if it was the concoction or the TIME and LOVE he spent tending to me but whatever it was, IT WORKED! The coughing stopped.
How I cherish those nights.

So when I heard my Missy Lu coughing last night I called up Dad (in the middle of the night, of course) to ask him for the recipe to that drink he'd make. Of course he didn't have one. Just a little bit of this and that. But He stayed up with me on the phone while I taste tested it until it was JUST RIGHT. I took it to my Jocey who was happy to have something warm to soothe her sore throat. Once she finished and was back in bed and asleep I thought, How WONDERFUL it is to have a Dad, who will stay up with me in the middle of the night to make SURE all my daughters soreness and OWEeeees go away!
THANKS DAD!!! LOVE YOU TO FRISKO AND BACK (A MILLION X's)!!!!
Make a bit of LOVE in a cup for your little (or BIG) one suffering with a NASTY cough:

Cut half a lemon and squeeze into a cup.

Peel and grate a little fresh ginger. (optional)

Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper (to taste) and a pinch of freshly grated ginger.

Add a tsp. of honey (or more- to taste)

Fill with boiling water. Stir and ENJOY!!!
12 comments:
You are such a sweet and thoughtful mom! I've always admired that about you! It sounds like you have such a great relationship with everyone in your family. It's small and simple things like these that you cherish and pass down to your own children. How sweet....and btw, I love your camera! It takes the best close up shots....gotta get me a new one :)
What a sweet relationship you have with your Dad! It looks like you are carrying on the tradition and I'm sure your kids will feel the same about you. Isn't it humbling to think that your kids can feel that same kind of love for you that you feel for your parents?
super cute story L, your dad is tight and I love all the photos attached :) miss you love you can't wait to see you and your camera...
That is soo cute!! Don't you wish he was a little closer!! Love that he stayed up in the middle of the night just to make sure it was perfect!! I LOVE that you had everything on hand...thanx to 99 cents hu!!! HOpe Jocey feels better!!!! BTW...loved the pics and picasa, you are ready to go pro!!
Thank you so much for that post cuz savannah has had such a bad hacking cough lately and I never knew what to do for it-now I know ;) I love the story behind it all. Makes me want to do that with my kids and just sit and talk with them.
Theres my beautiful Lu...Hafa Adai from Guam!! Lu...give some of that hot water to your dad...he sounds like he is going to cough up a lung or something...maybe his heart...LOL Ok, sorry...I love your dad, really I do but I love you ten million times!! Aunty Ne
I love reading your Stories This one I take to the heart my grandma use to make the same drink and for some reason it would always work..hope you lu gets well...
ERIKA MADSEN
hahaha Line... unfortunately this remedy can't cure the kind of *cough* *cough* your bro has! LOL!!
Erika- Hey I thought you were gonna start a blog???... Can't wait to see it! Give us your link when you get up and running!! Take Care
OH...Maele...your kids are going to remember those days. And Wow...I want your camera!
Hey girl! Cute story! Thanks for the step by step instructions! I'm seriously going to try this because I have a stupid cough and a sore throat. I'm willing to try anything! Sorry we missed you guys at Jaroms baptism! No one told us about it so thats why were werent there! Anyways next time your in town give me a call or something, I'd love to hang out! Love you guys! Kiss your kids for me!
Post a Comment